Palos Verdes High School

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
CEEB Code: 052358 PVPUSD

Letter of Recommendation Process

Mr. Danny Barbara | Associate Principal | 310-378-8471 Ext. 204 |
Mrs. Paula Stapleton | Gr. 9-12: A-Da | Ext: 220 |
Ms. Megan Lichter | Gr. 9-12: De-H | Ext: 246 |
Ms. Kristin Nelson (Substitute: Janine McKenna for Fall 17) | Gr. 9-12: I-Mc | Ext: 293 | |
Mrs. Merika McHugh | Gr. 9-12: Me-R | Ext: 217 |
Ms. Christina Sunada | Gr. 9-12: S-Z | Ext: 216 |

Deadlines to request a letter of recommendation from your Counselor or a Teacher:

September 23rd, 2016 – Early Decision or Early Action

November 4th, 2016 – All other Applications



Step 1: List the colleges you are applying to on the front of your senior packet and complete the checklist. To find out if you need a letter of recommendation for a college you must visit their website and check admissions requirements. (UC’s and CSU’s do not need or accept Letters of Recommendation)


Step 2: Sign on to Naviance -> CLICK Colleges Tab -> CLICK Colleges I am applying to -> CLICK add colleges to this list -> CLICK  look up and search the college name and add it to your list. For colleges that are on the common application you will need to choose Yes or No from the drop down to indicate whether you are applying via the Common Application or not. You MUST do this in order for your letters and transcripts to be sent correctly to colleges!


Step 3: If you are ONLY applying to UC and CSU schools you DO NOT need a Letter of Recommendation.

If you are only applying to UC’s and CSU’s: SKIP to Step 9 (Lucky you!)


Step 4: If you are using the Common Application to apply to schools, register with Common Application and create a username and password.  (Do not forget your username/password.) Add the colleges you are applying to to the My College list on your Common Application account. If you do not do this your letters cannot be sent to your common application schools electronically!


Step 5: In your common application account go to the My Colleges tab CLICK My Recommenders and FERPA. Under FERPA release authorization CLICK release authorization link. Read and follow the prompts asking if you agree to allow your records to be released (ie transcripts and letters). It is our strong recommendation that you DO waive access to review your recommendations. Sign your name and date the release of authorization to complete the FERPA release. (Speak with your counselor if you have any questions or concerns about this!)


Step 6: Sign on to Naviance -> CLICK Colleges Tab -> CLICK Colleges I am applying toà In the Blue Common Application Matching Box input your Common Application email address CLICK Match. Your Naviance and Common Application are now matched allowing teachers and counselors to send their letters electronically.


Step 7: If you need a Counselor Letter of Recommendation: CLICK About Me tab  CLICK Counselor Letter of Recommendation Questionnaire on the left side columnà Answer each question thoroughly -> CLICK Update to save information.

***You MUST complete this questionnaire, including a parent Letter of Recommendation, if you want a letter from your counselor!***


Step 8: Put a copy of your resume in the senior packet.


Step 9: There is a purple Request for Transcript form in your packet.  Complete the Request for Transcript Form:  Fill out your personal information. Indicate how many transcripts you need electronically and how many you need mailed. (Not sure about electronic submission or mail? see step 10.)

***Most UC’s and CSU’s do not need an initial transcript but we recommend you check each campus requirement individually to determine if you need to send a transcript.


Step 10: To determine whether your colleges accept electronic document: Sign on to Naviance à CLICK Colleges Tabà CLICK Colleges I am applying to à In the submissions column, check for the symbols below:

Documents can be sent electronically

This school does not accept electronic documents. All documents must be mailed.


Step 11: Pay for transcripts in the student store:  Bring the Transcript Request form and $8 for each transcript requested to the student store.  Put the Transcript Request Form, stamped “paid”, in your senior packet.


Step 12: For each school that does not accept electronic documents ( ) you must provide an 9x12 manila envelope addressed to the college admissions office with 3 stamps. The return address on each envelope needs to be:

Palos Verdes High School

600 Cloyden Road

Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274


Step 13: There is a PVHS Secondary School Report Form (SSR) in your packet.  Complete the Student Portion of the SSR including a parent signature and put it in your senior packet.


Step 14: Turn your completed senior packet into the Counseling Office.

If you need a letter of recommendation your counselor will call you in for a senior interview prior to writing your letter.

Congratulations on completing this portion of your application process!!!!


Senior LOR Packet: Frequently Asked Questions

When is it due?

If you have an Early Application deadline (Early Action, Early Decision, Restrictive Early Action) you must have the packet in by September 23rd, 2016.  The deadline for all other applications is November 4th, 2016.

Why should I waive my rights on Naviance?

If you waive your rights, your counselor and teacher can write an honest and comprehensive letter of recommendation.  Most students (if not all) will waive their rights.  If you do not waive your rights, your counselor and teachers are limited in what they can say.  For example, they might just stick with the facts and not write about all the amazing things you’ve done in school.  Colleges prefer to see that you waived your rights. ***Even if you do not waive your rights you will not be able to see your letter of recommendation until you matriculate from your college.***

What do I need to do before filling out the counselor letter of recommendation packet?

You should have a list of colleges that you are planning on applying to.  If you are using the Common App, you need to create a username and password for Common App.  Decide if you will be applying early to any schools.  Create a resume.

What is the Common Application?

A standardized undergraduate admission application you can use to apply to over 450 college campuses. This allows you to fill out one application for multiple colleges and saves you time.
For more information or to access the application go to:

What do I have to send to UC schools?

Nothing!  You will self-report your grades in lieu of a transcript.  Also, they do not accept Letters of Recommendation.

What do I have to send CSU schools?

Most likely, you will not have to send anything.  However, some CSU campuses want you to send a transcript.  It is your responsibility to figure out if you need to send a transcript.

What are UC and CSU schools?

The University of California (UC) schools are: UCLA, UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC San Diego, UC San Francisco, UC Santa Barbara, and UC Santa Cruz

**For more information on UC’s or to access the application go to:

The California State Universities (CSU) are: Cal Poly Pomona, Cal Maritime, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, CSU Bakersfield, CSU Channel Islands, CSU Chico, CSU Dominguez Hills, CSU East Bay, CSU Fresno, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, CSU Los Angeles, CSU Monterey Bay, CSU Northridge, CSU Sacramento, CSU San Bernardino, CSU San Marcos, CSU Stanislaus, Humboldt State, San Diego State, San Francisco State, San Jose State and Sonoma State.

** For more information on the CSU’s or to access the application go to: