Special Education Lead: Allyson Klabe
310-378-8471 Ext. 316
Important Course Decisions
At PV High we attempt to creatively design a program to meet each student’s needs. It is important to know the difference
between the classes and which classes meet the A-G requirements. Course recommendations come from the middle school
general education teachers and case carrier.
Typical Freshman Schedule
- Physical Education
- English 1 – A-G approved course, student is in the class independently.
- English 1 Collaborative – A-G approved course, there is a general education English teacher and a special education
- Reading and Writing Skills 1 – NOT AG approved course – open to special education students only and taught by
special education teacher. RSP course. We also offer a SDC version of the course as needed.
Every student MUST pass Algebra in order to obtain a high school diploma.
- Geometry – A-G approved course
- Algebra 1 – A-G approved course
- Essentials of Alg A – NOT A-G approved course
- Essentials of Alg B – NOT A-G approved course
- Consumer Math – NOT A-G approved course
- Biology – A-G approved course
- Life Science – NOT A-G approved course
There is space in the Freshman schedule for two electives.
- Visual and Performing Art – choose an A-G elective.
- Guided Study – not an A-G approved course
- AVID – A-G elective, not part of the special education program
Guided Study supports the student with accessing the general education curriculum by working on:
- Additional instruction which addresses goals in the IEP
- Organizational skills
- Study skills
- Self Advocacy
- Behavior Support
- Transition Goal Achievement
- Assignments from other classes that require accommodations best applied in this setting.
- Guided Study
- Bi-Weekly Grade Reports
- Edmodo – Resource and Support Page
- Edmodo – Collaborative English Page
- Testing Center
- Note taking Center
- The accommodations/modifications are reviewed every year.
- Every year the team will determine if the accommodations are working; obtain feedback from the teachers to make sure
that they are appropriate for the student.
- Modifications alter the curriculum or testing environment – as a team everyone needs to understand this and make sure
we are in agreement before making modifications.
- A student MUST pass Algebra in order to earn a high school diploma.
- A student MUST take two years of Physical Education in order to earn a high school diploma.
- A – G Approved Courses
- Transition Planning
- Diploma vs – Certificate of Completion
Certificate of Completion/Life Skills Center
Specially designed program to prepare qualifying students to the Transition to Independence Program.
- Basic Academic Skills
- Social Skills
- Activities of Daily Living
- Executive Functioning Skills
- Community-Based Instruction